Crying Out for PEACE In The Center of Timor-Leste
Timor-Leste (East Timor) is one of the youngest and the first independent country in the 21st century, gaining its independence in 2002. Being a young country, there is not enough infrastructures and because of this the word “movie” is not a common one. One of the participants in the Peace Festival for the 2nd Annual Commemoration of the WARP Summit, Mr. Adolfo Paulo Hornay, also known as the Director of Youth For Peace (YFP), saw this as an opportunity and suggested an idea called “Movie Night” to share the news of peace through movies.
On January 26, 2017, an IPYG member and a participant in the 2nd Annual Commemoration of the WARP Summit, Mr. Arsenio Pereira Da Silva, also known as the Director of the East Timor NGO Forum (under FONGTIL), hosted the “Movie Night in Dili” in the FONGTIL conference room. Hosting it in Dili, the capital city of Timor-Leste, many youth members gathered to watch. It was about the achievement of HWPL. The youth had a time to communicate with each other about peace.
The event started with an introduction of the DPCW which was translated into Tetum by Mr. Arsenio Pereira Da Silva. The first Movie Night's video was about the peace activities that were hosted by HWPL and IPYG. It encouraged the youth and helped them understand the DPCW. This was an opportunity for the youth to receive an actual answer on how to achieve peace. Following was a discussion time where the youth had a chance to talk about how to have a better election culture. It was to help the young nation have a clean and good participation in the election for peace and the development of the country.
After the whole event, IPYG had an interview with the participants and many said this type of peace event would have a great impact in spreading the word of peace and agreed to come together in one voice in supporting HWPL peace activities. It was a meaningful time for them as activities of the youth towards peace election is important.
In this event, a total of 60 members from the youth, media and NGO leaders of Timor-Leste gathered. After the event, TVTL, a national broadcast, televised the interview of Mr. Arsenio Pereira Da Silva and a Radio Station, Lorico, aired the news of peace.
Mr. Arsenio Pereira Da Silva, who hosted the event, said he is planning to meet the minister of justice and give him the plans for the DPCW. Mr. Adolfo Paulo Hornay, who gave this great peace activity plan, is going to continue this event to spread the importance of peace with general movies.
For all the hard work we would like to give our thanks to Mr. Arsenio Pereira Da Silva, Mr. Adolfo Paulo Hornay and Mr. Manuel Simeao.
Below is a part of the interview from Mr. Arsenio Pereira Da Silva.
Q. What was the goal for today’s event?
- It was to share and encourage the NGO’s and the youth members in Timor-Leste.
Q. Do you think this peace event can be hosted in other places in Timor-Leste?
- Yes, I do. Peace is needed for the people in Timor-Leste. As some may know, Timor-Leste experienced occupation by Indonesia for a long period of time. This event means opportunities for Timor-Leste to create a special culture of peace.
Q. Are you ready to fully support HWPL peace activities?
- Of course I am. That is why I am hosting this event today and will continue to support HWPL worldwide peace events, especially in Timor-Leste.
Q. How did you feel attending the peace event today?
- I was impressed when the participants were concentrating on the DPCW video. I felt that they wanted to be part of this peace. This was important for me and Timor-Leste because the participants are members of Timorese society. They can continuously encourage the society and awaken the people about peace effectively.
- Arsenio Pereira da Silva, FONGTIL, Director